Department of Psychology
The Department of Psychology it offers programmes designed to enable its graduates transfer theoretical knowledge to practical application in physical, mental, emotional, social and spiritual health transmitted through curative, preventive, promotive and rehabilitative counseling approaches. It produces highly skilled and qualified counseling psychologists capable of providing much needed quality, timely, accessible and affordable psychological care.
To be a department of excellence in training, research and practice in psychology in the world.
To facilitate realization of world class standards in training, research and innovation for psychological and well-being of communities of the world.
Head Of Department Profile
DURATION & FEES
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Counseling Psychology (By Thesis and Course work)
Master of Arts (MA) in Counseling Psychology from a recognized university and accredited university
- Thesis only-Ksh 600,000
- Coursework, Examination and Thesis-Ksh 750,000.
Masters of Arts (MA) in Counseling Psychology
- Second Class Honors (upper division) from a recognized University in Counseling Psychology/ other related discipline.
- Second Class Honors( lower division) with two years working experience in the related discipline OR Bachelor degree in Counseling a post graduate Diploma in Counseling Psychology or any other related discipline.
Regular & Evening 4 semesters ksh 65,000 per semester
School based 6 sessions Ksh 45,000
|Post graduate Diploma in Counseling Psychology
- Holder of a bachelors degree and above in any field.
- Holder of a Masters degree in any field aspiring to undertake a PhD in Couselling Psychology
Ksh 50,000 per Semester
School based 3 Sessions
Ksh. 32,000 per session
exclusive of a Practicum Fee of Ksh25,000
Bachelor of Counseling Psychology
- KCSE mean grade of C Plus (C+)
- C (Plain) plus Diploma in Counseling Psychology / Education or any other related discipline.
- C (Plain) plus P1 or Diploma in Counseling Psychology / Education or any other related fields.
| 8 semesters
Regular,Evening & Weekend Ksh.54,000 per semester
Virtual Ksh.42,000 & School based Ksh.39,600 per semester
|Diploma in Counseling Psychology
- KCSE mean grade C (Plain).
- C- (Minus) plus Certificate of P1or Counseling Psychology
5 trimesters School based, Regular, Evening & Weekend Ksh.24,550 per trimester
The department offers credit transfers in up to 50% with a mean score of B in the units undertaken from accredited institutions.
AWARD OF CERTIFICATE AND REGISTRATION
Candidate who satisfies the university’s Board of Examiners and Senate shall be awarded the Degrees of Doctor of Philosophy in Counseling Psychology, Master of Arts (Counseling Psychology) Bachelor in Counseling Psychology and Diploma in Counseling Psychology of Mount Kenya University.
-A letter of therapy completion.
-Participation of career participation
The successful graduates will be registered by the Kenyan Association (KCA) after fulfilling its requirement.
The department offers programmes that prepares counseling psychologists for public and private practice, participation in NGO programmes, community development and self-employment
SPECIFIC WORK ENVIRONMENTS INCLUDE;
- Learning Institutions
- Primary Schools
- Secondary schools
- Tertiary colleges
- Non- Governmental Organizations
- Rehabilitation centers
- VCT Centers