Master of Arts in Environmental Security and Sustainable Development
Environmental factors have been increasingly implicated in the analyses of development, peace and conflict situations.There is mounting concern over the extent to which environmental stress is threatening livelihoods, health and fulfillment of basic needs, in harming the sustainability and resilience of fragile ecosystems. Environmental degradation is intensifying conflict and competition over natural resources, aggravating social tensions, and in certain volatile situations, provoking or escalating violence and conflict. Environmental security and integrity are over-arching pillars of sustainable development.
Yet there is a major deficit of experts and skilled people who fully understand the complex issues and the inter-linkages involved, and who can define issues and manage the necessary actions to reduce threats to peace arising from environmental degradation and growing competition for resources. Opportunities abound for productive and satisfying careers in environmental security and sustainable development.
- Develop an integrated and critical understanding among learners of the link between environmental security and sustainable development
- Equip learners with knowledge and skills in the diagnosis and monitoring of resource based conflicts
- Equip learners with knowledge, skills and competencies in the resolution of resource based conflicts, and the management of sustainable peace
- Equip learners with competencies to develop sustainable alternatives for development in resource conflict prone areas
- Identify a change project in environmental security and sustainable development, collect and analyse relevant data on this project and initiate field application of the project
A student shall be admitted to the Master of Arts in Environmental Security and Sustainable Development degreeprogramme by satisfying the following requirements
- An Upper Second Class Bachelor’s degree of Mount Kenya University or any other recognized University in Environmental Studies, Development Studies, Security Studies or related area(s) of specialization Or
- A Lower Second Class Bachelor’s degree of Mount Kenya University or any other recognized university in any area of specialization but with at least two (2) years of post-graduation work research experience in a senior/top managerial and decision-making or leadership position relevant to environmental security and sustainable development
Duration and Strategy
The programme is designed to take between two (2) to four (4) academic years to complete.
Duration and Fees
Kindly click on this link to view the fees and program duration
Download application form here