Master of Science in Ecology and Conservation
The Master of Science in Ecology and Conservation/Natural resource management degree course is designed to educate students as efficient natural resources, environmental and water resources managers, scientists, community workers, and policy planners. Students are required to apply their acquired interdisciplinary knowledge, by way of a minor and major project, to analyse various environmental and natural resource-related issues.
Why Study The Programme
The graduates of this programme will be eligible and competent to pursue doctoral studies in Natural resources management/ Ecology or conservation Biology, or related fields, at any University of international repute. They will also be employable in academic institutions, inter-governmental organizations, government ministries and non-governmental organizations, parastatals, research institutions, and the industry, whereas others are capable of initiating their businesses as environmental managers or providing consulting services in various aspects of natural resource management.
The course targets Fresh graduates, employees of government and parastatal bodies, research institutions and the private sector.
The objectives of this programme shall be to:
- Provide high quality training in various aspects of conservation and natural resource management at a national, regional and international level.
- Produce personnel who are capable of providing specific skills in management of natural resources.
- Train students in current trends in ecology and conservation of natural resources research, and prepare them for doctoral studies, consultancies and outreach.
(a) Holders of a Bachelor’s degree from Mount Kenya University of at least Upper Second Class Honours in Biological Sciences or Agriculture with at least one unit passed in Ecology, Environmental science, range management or an equivalent qualification from a university recognized by Mount Kenya University Senate.
(b) Holders of a Bachelor’s degree from Mount Kenya University of Lower Second Class Honours in Biological Sciences, environmental sciences or Agriculture with at least one unit passed in Ecology, Environmental science, range management or an equivalent qualification from an institution recognized by the Mount Kenya University Senate. In addition, the candidate must have at least two years of documented relevant work and/or research experience.
(c) Holders of a Bachelor’s Pass degree of Mount Kenya University in Biological Sciences, environmental sciences or Agriculture or an equivalent qualification from a university recognized by Mount Kenya University Senate plus a relevant postgraduate diploma from an institution recognized by Mount Kenya University Senate with at least five years of documented relevant work/research experience.
Credit Transfers and Exemptions
A candidate may be exempted from some units and credits transferred from approved institutions, subject to the following conditions:
- Must have been examined and passed in the relevant units at Master of Science level.
- Request for transfer of credit must be made in writing on admission to the Director, Admissions, Mount Kenya University, through the Chair, Department of Natural Sciences, and must be accompanied by officially endorsed supporting documents.
- Payment of appropriate exemption fees.
- A candidate shall be allowed to transfer up to a maximum of one third (four units) of the total taught course units.
Duration and Fees
Kindly click on this link to view the fees and program duration
Download application form here
Programme start date
January, April, May, August, September and December every year