Diploma in Science Laboratory Technology
Rationale of the proposed programme
Needs assessment / market survey / situation analysis
Mount Kenya University mission propose to provide world class standards in training. With the advent of Modern Science and Technology, the education system in Kenya has undergone drastic changes in the past four decades or so. The changes have affected many courses of study that are being governed by market demands. The employers are equally keen on the type of graduates being produced by Kenyan Universities. This curriculum of Diploma in Science laboratory Technology is therefore designed to meet these challenges and demands affecting Kenya’s labour market as dictated by both local and international demands. The program is also designed to combat shortage of professionally trained personnel in this country, Africa region and the world at large.
The curriculum is also designed to provide interdisciplinary approaches for training chemistry professionals and scientists who need to work competitively in all fields and areas in the manufacturing and reserch sector of this country and beyond.
The programme shall also provide Diploma in Science laboratory Technology graduates with real world situations full of various techniques of teaching, knowledge, skills, attitudes, and experiences that prepare them to meet challenges in the fields of Teaching Learning Process.
Justification for the need of the proposed programmes
While striving to fulfil the gaps identified arising from the needs survey, Diploma in Science laboratory Technology programme has been designed to recognize that its graduates shall: -
Have strong analytic and critical thinking, knowledge, skills , attitudes and abilities to:
- Solve problems in manufacturing and research institutions.
- Conceptualize and systemize functions, principles, procedures, and data in the institutions
- Implement solutions that enhance performance in manufacturing and research institutions as intended.
- Acquire, process, design and store knowledge and information for the benefit of the society and mankind at large.
- Help both his/her seniors and juniors achieve their goals in life.
Goal of the proposed Programme
- To prepare graduates who are practical in their approaches.
- To meet the increasing demand for science laboratory technicians in the labour market
- To equip learners with the learning capacity and capability to harness and implement relevant emerging issues.
- To provide graduates with requisite skills needed in the management of relevant Institutions.
Expected learning Outcomes of the proposed programme
Upon successful completion of the prescribed course of study, the Bachelor science in industrial chemistry, graduates will have acquired knowledge, skills and abilities to be able to:
- Effectively undertake research assistance as well as supervisory duties in research and Laboratolies
- Undertake practicals as per required
- Supervise laboratory practicals.
Mode of delivery of the proposed programme
The mode of delivery shall be the direct mode, face to face teacher / student teaching / learning mode
i) KCSE certificate with a minimum of C and grade C (plain) in biological/physical sciences Or
ii) KACE certificate with a minimum of two principal passes in subjects and O level Credit in Chemistry Or
iii) Certificate in relevant disciplines from an institution of higher learning recognized by the University Senate. Or
iv) Any other qualifications recognized by the university Senate.
Download the most recent fee structure here
Applications can be downloded here , you can also submit your application online here