Diploma in Early Childhood Education and Development
The University conducted an extensive market survey prior to the designing of the programme where critical gaps like lack of trained ECDE teachers were identified. The ECDE programme was therefore designed to fill such gaps.
Why Study the Programme
- Prepare graduates who are practical in the teaching profession.
- Meet the increasing demand in the labour market for pre-school teachers
- Produce graduates who can apply scientific and technological knowledge, skills, and abilities in the dissemination of education to Pre-school children.
This program has been designed to:
- Produce highly qualified and skilled ECDE graduates who will provide much needed quality, timely and accessible child care and community services
- The curriculum shall prepare ECDE graduates for both public, private institutions and nongovernmental organization.
Upon successful completion of this programme, graduates of Diploma in Early Childhood Education will have acquired knowledge, skills, attitudes and abilities to be able to:
- Demonstrate methodologically and systematically, their practical skills, and abilities in teaching and administering pre-school and other children institutions.
- Build, and nurture students towards educational development of the people of Kenya.
- Equip learners with both theoretical and practical skills in the field of Education, Science and Technology.
The following shall be the minimum University entry requirements for admission to the Diploma course in early childhood of Mt. Kenya University.
- C plain in KCSE
- Foundation certificate and a mean grade of C- in KCSE
Exemptions and Credit Transfers
Credit transfers may be given to students who have done similar courses from institutions recognized by the university senate
Diploma in Early Childhood Education Programme shall be offered in six trimesters. Each of the trimesters shall have six units of three credit hours each. The research project shall be done in the 4th trimester and shall account for three credit hours and equivalent to one unit.
A candidate will be deemed to have passed an academic year after successful completion of all units offered in that year. The program is structured to take six trimesters one and ½ academic year including practicum/industrial attachment.
Download the most recent fee structure here
Applications can be downloded here , you can also submit your application online here
Every January, May and Sept