Bachelor of Science in Acturial Science
The Bachelor of Actuarial Science Programme prepares a student for a career as an actuarial professional. Actuarial Science is concerned with the construction of models and solutions for financial, business and societal problems involving uncertain future events. Actuarial practitioners, also known as actuaries, have been described as financial architects and social mathematics. Broadly speaking, actuaries forecast the cost of future risks and improve financial decision making by developing models to evaluate the current financial implications of uncertain future events.
Why study the Programme
Currently when large insurance firms and other organizations, require the services of an actuarial scientists, often they source for the scientists from the international market because shortage nationally and regionally. This Programme intends to fill this critical gap in Kenya and the Region.
O-level and A-level graduate’s holders who wish to take careers in Insurance firms, Pension departments of various organizations, Banks and other Financial Institutions. Stakeholders hold that the Programme require inclusion of marketing courses to make the Programme user focused
Objectives of the Programme
The aim of the Programme is to offer a degree Programme that meets the rising demand of managers with added quantitative background especially, in areas of life insurance, health insurance and financial forecasting. At the end of the training, the Programme will empower graduates to:
- Effectively Manage resources at their disposal according to contemporary economic, business management and technological trends;
- Carry out Researching business and management trends with a view to finding solutions to contemporary problems affecting development at various scales;
- Appreciate the complex relationship between the national economy and global economic trends, and have acquired knowledge, skills and attitudes for pursuing further studies in Actuarial Science.
- To equip students with theoretical knowledge and practical skills, develop and apply techniques of mathematics, statistics, probability and finance to solving real business problems.
- To offer high quality training in Actuarial Science locally and internationally
- To provide an opportunity for research in Actuarial Science and development of Actuarial products.
- To assist the student to prepare for several examinations of the faculty & Institute of Actuaries, the Casualty Actuarial Society and the society of Actuaries
Minimum Entry Requirements for a Bachelor’s Degree.
The entry requirements set out below must be regarded as minimum requirements which in no way directly entitled an applicant to a place in the university. The following requirements must be fulfilled: -
a) A Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) with an average grade C+ (C Plus) or its equivalent passed from at least eight subjects as one sitting drawn from subject clusters as stipulated by the Kenya National Examinations Council.
b) One of the following combinations of passes in the Kenya Advanced Certificate of Education (KACE) or Advanced Certificate Level of the General Certificate of Education.
i. Two Principals or Advanced Level passes of at least Grade C obtained at the same sitting.
ii. Two principals or Advanced Level passes obtained at different sittings provided that both passes are of Grade C or higher.
c) Applicants who have not taken any of the above examinations must produce acceptable documentary evidence of having passed an examination of equivalent standards by a signed statement of attainment from the Head of the last school or College attended or from the respective education authority.
d) Additional entry requirements as may be specified by respective faculties, schools or departments
Exemptions and Credit transfers.
- Credit transfer from Bachelors to Bachelors should be awarded only a maximum of one half of the of the minimum number of required units for the award of a degree
- No University common units should be offered a credit transfer.
- Credit transfers should be given a minimum of B in any unit.
Download the most recent fee structure here
Applications can be downloded here , you can also submit your application online here
Programme start dates.
January, May and September every year.