Bachelor of Education In Special Needs Education(Primary Option)
This curriculum is prompted by the realization that Primary teachers are ‘strange professionals’ about what each does. Research has shown that children enjoy in the hands of primary teachers as opposed to the time they transit to primary school, reason being poor link between the two worlds of experiences. These personnel, if empowered could alleviate the teacher crisis our country is often faced with. This is the major impetus to this curriculum.
It is also noted that in primary school teachers, parents cooperates more with the teacher than other levels of education therefore the teacher is usually closely connected with the members of the community and he or she can have a strong influence on the life of community members since parents trusts her or him. This prompted the need to have a primary option in order to equip primary teachers with basic skills in preparation of children to high schools.
Why study the programme
The main goal of Bachelor of Education (Primary Option) programme is to produce graduates who possess broad and deep understanding of children, the subjects they teach, the nature of learning and schooling, and the world around them. They exemplify the critical thinking they strive to develop in students, combining tough-minded instruction with a penchant for inquiry. Competent teachers are careful not to bore, confuse, or demean students, pushing them instead to interact with important knowledge and skill in their chosen cluster subjects as follows.
- Science (physics chemistry, Biology) and Agriculture
- Social Studies (History, Geography, religious Studies and Business Studies)
- English (English Language and Literature)
- Kiswahili (Lugha and Fasihi)
- Applied Subjects (Art and Design, Music, Physical Education and Home science)
This program has been designed to:
- Produce highly qualified and skilled graduates who will provide much needed quality, timely and accessible child care services.
- The curriculum shall prepare primary graduates for both public, private institutions and non- governmental organizations.
The objectives of this programme are to: -
- Enhance the teacher`s subject content and pedagogical knowledge, skills and attitudes
- Improve teacher`s ability to handle (a) all subjects at lower primary and (b) one of the specialist areas at upper primary level.
- Prepare graduates who are practical in their approaches to classroom teaching
- Meet the increasing demand for teachers in the labour market
- Equip learners with the learning capacity and capability to harness and implement relevant emerging educational and community issues.
- Enable the primary school teacher develop the child`s ability in critical and creative thinking, problem solving and self-expression.
- Develop a teacher`s ability to conduct educational research
- Improve a teacher`s leadership managerial skills
- Develop the teacher`s awareness, understanding and commitment in the following:
- Professional ethics and education law, basic human rights and civil liberties, sound health practices and sound environment management and gender equity.
- Mean grade C+ (plus) at KCSE or equivalent with a minimum of C+ in the subjects of specialization. For those taking science course a minimum of C plain in in mathematics is a requirement. Or
- Mean grade C (Plain) at KCSE or an Equivalent with Diploma in education from a recognized Institution.Or
- Diploma in Education from a recognized Institution with a mean grade of C-(Minus) and two years teaching experience Or
- P1 certificate with a mean grade of C- (Minus) at KCSE level, Diploma in education from a recognized Institution and two years teaching experience.Or
- KACE or equivalent Certificate with a minimum of the two principal passes and O-level Credit in Mathematics and one other subject.
Exemptions and credit transfers
Credit transfers and exemption are possible depending on the qualification of the applicant. The applicant must have attained the pass mark in the subject to be considered for credit transfer/ exemption from an institution recognized by the Senate. The maximum number of credit transfers given must be determined from time to time by the university Senate
The following conditions should be met in seeking an exemption for a particular subject:
- The applicant shall pay a non-refundable credit transfer/exemption fee as determined by the School Board and approved by the Senate.
- A formal application on a prescribed form should be lodged with the Dean of School.
- The application should include justification and documentary support for the exemption to be considered.
- The applicant must have passed the final examinations for the year in which the subject to be exempted was examined.
- The School Board may require the applicant to sit an exemption examination.
No exemption shall be granted for professional or clinical subjects.
Download the most recent fee structure here
Applications can be downloded here , you can also submit your application online here