School of Law
The school of law was established in 2009 and it is situated at MKU Parklands Plaza, Nairobi. The School has been provisionally accredited by the Council of Legal Education (CLE), with plans at an advanced stage to obtain full accreditation. Upon obtaining full accreditation the school plans to immediately launch post graduate training in law
The school offers legal training at undergraduate level. Administratively the school is divided into private and public law departments.
Justification for the Bachelor of Laws Degree
The necessity of a dynamic and vibrant legal system in any country cannot be over emphasized. Mount Kenya University seeks to contribute to the training of competent lawyers equipped with the necessary skills needed to achieve that aim, inter alia with knowledge of both national and international laws.
The graduates from the programme as practitioners can work in government, inter-governmental, non-governmental organizations and private practice.
The programme therefore seeks to equip learners with legal skills and knowledge that they can apply in both theoretical and practical situations, whether internally or internationally.
- To develop graduates with the necessary skills to work both locally and internationally
- To empower students with skills necessary to transform them into knowledgeable and responsible citizens
- To guide students in identifying and attaining their careers
- To provide community service in addition teaching and learning
- To carry out research in relevant fields of study for desirable values and to stimulate intellectual life
- To develop the ability among students to think independently, critically and creatively
- Master of Laws
- Bachelor of Laws
- Pre-Bar Certificate in Laws
- To produce a legal professional whose qualification will be recognized in the world of modern legal/justice systems, through the mastery of law with an international perspective.
- To provide students with a broad base knowledge and skills in order to systematically perform modern legal business.
- To provide an understanding of perspectives that forms the context of legal theory and practice
- To train lawyers capable of conducting legal research and applying the skills learnt to practical situations effectively.
- To introduce students to the social and economic perspective of the law.
- To provide basic knowledge, skills and ability to support the justice system.
- To equip students with capacity of analytical and critical thinking and problem solving skills in legal matters and issues.
- To introduce students to international legal orders and its manifestations and relationships with the country legal systems and methods.
- To produce graduates who can apply effectively and efficiently the acquired legal knowledge, skills and abilities for the societal benefit of mankind and country justice systems and development.
- To prepare students to apply the systematized knowledge, skills, abilities, work principles, values and virtues in performance of their duties in legal settings
- To prepare students for progression to higher level of study in the career of law.