Master of Science in Applied Entomology
The Master of Science in Applied Entomology degree course embraces three areas of specialization: Applied Agricultural Entomology, Applied Medical and Veterinary Entomology and, Applied Medical Entomology, Parasitology & Epidemiology. Although these areas overlap in certain basic units, they are offered as options each with its subjects that uniquely identify it. The course provides advanced training in detection, identification, classification, management, control and surveillance of insects pests and vectors of agricultural, veterinary and medical importance, as well as vector and parasite biology including epidemiology of communicable arthropod-borne parasitic infections and disease conditions.
Why Study The Programme
The graduates of this programme will be eligible and competent to pursue doctoral studies in Entomology, or related fields, at any University of international repute anywhere in the world. They are also employable in academic institutions, inter-governmental organizations, government ministries and non-governmental organizations, parastatals, research institutions, and the industry, whereas others are capable of initiating their businesses as manufacturers and processors of insect-based products or providing consulting services in various aspects of Entomology and Parasitlogy.
The course targets fresh graduates, employees of government and parastatal bodies, research institutions and the private sector
The objectives of this programme shall be to:
- Provide high quality training in various aspects of Entomology and Parasitology at a national, regional and international level
- Produce personnel with specific skills who are capable of providing specialized consulting services such as identification, surveillance, control and management of arthropod pests and/or vectors of diseases and the pathogens they transmit or the conditions they cause, and other practical aspects of Entomology and Parasitology.
- Train students in current trends in Entomological and Parasitological research and prepare them for doctoral studies.
- Holders of a Bachelor’s degree from Mount Kenya University of at least Upper Second Class Honours in Biological Sciences or Agriculture with at least one unit passed in Entomology and Parasitology or an equivalent qualification from a university recognized by Mount Kenya University Senate and the Commission of University Education (CUE). Or
- Holders of a Bachelor’s degree from Mount Kenya University Lower Second Class Honours in Biological Sciences or Agriculture with at least one unit passed in Entomology and Parasitology or an equivalent qualification from an institution recognized by the Mount Kenya University Senate. In addition, the candidate must have at least two years of documented relevant work and/or research experience. Or
- Holders of a Bachelor’s Pass degree of Mount Kenya University in biological sciences or Agriculture or an equivalent qualification from a university recognized by Mount Kenya University Senate plus a relevant postgraduate diploma from an institution recognized by Mount Kenya University Senate with at least five years of documented relevant work/research experience
Credit Transfer And Exemptions
A candidate may be exempted from some units and credits transferred from approved institutions, subject to the following conditions:
- Must have been examined and passed in the relevant units at Master of Science level.
- Request for transfer of credit must be made in writing on admission to the to the Director, Admissions, Mount Kenya University, through the head, Department of Natural Sciences , and must be accompanied by officially endorsed supporting documents.
- Payment of appropriate exemption fees.
- A candidate shall be allowed to transfer up to a maximum of one third (four units) of the total taught course units.
Programme Duration And Fees
Duration and Fees
Kindly click on this link to view the fees and program duration
Download application form here
Programme Start Dates
January, April, May, August, September and December every year