Diploma in Law
Society is dynamic and new issues emerge that require urgent response. There is therefore high demand for specialized and internationally responsive Legal Education. However, current law programs offered by various legal training institutions do not address these issues sufficiently. Thus the establishment of the School of Law at Mount Kenya University is a response to a felt need. This need covers the emerging trends in various aspects of life. Following a needs assessment exercise that involved the input of various stakeholders the following key areas were identified: inadequacy in research training; lack of training in legislative drafting, law reform, and election law.
Why Study the Programme
To produce excellent law graduates tooled to contribute to national, regional and international development and to serve the legal profession and the community with life-long dedication, passion and the pursuit for excellence.
The necessity of a functioning legal system in any country cannot be overemphasized. Mt. Kenya University seeks to contribute to the training of competent lawyers equipped with the necessary skills needed to achieve that aim. Graduates of the programme can work in government, inter-governmental organizations, and non-governmental organizations and in private practice.
The programme therefore seeks to equip learners with knowledge and skills that are applicable in practical and real life situations.
- To train conscientious lawyers capable of conducting legal research and applying the skills learned to practical situations effectively.
- To develop critical and analytical legal reasoning in students as a building block for a career in law
A candidate must satisfy any of the following minimum requirements:
Be a holder of KCSE (or equivalent examination) certificate with a minimum aggregate of C and a minimum of C+ in English
Exemptions and Credit Transfers
The applicant must have attained the pass mark in the subject to be considered for credit transfer /exemption from an institution recognized by the senate.
The following conditions should be met in seeking an exemption for a particular subject;
- The applicant shall pay a non-refundable credit transfer /exemption fee as determined by the school Board and approved by senate.
- A formal application on a prescribed form should be lodged with the Dean of school.
- The application should include justification and documentary support for the exemption examination.
- The school board may require the applicant to sit an exemption examination.
- No exemption shall be granted for professional subjects.
Download the most recent fee structure here
Applications can be downloded here , you can also submit your application online here
Programme Start Dates
Every January, May and Sept